3839 N Melrose Drive
The Overlook House was built in 1928 by the family that owned the Raven Creamery. In 1951 the house was sold to the City of Portland and designated as a Community Center. In 2003, after learning that the city was considering selling the property, a subcommittee of the Overlook Neighborhood Association (now known as the Friends of the Overlook House) formed to negotiate with city officials to keep Overlook House open as a special place for community building. The result was an agreement that the community would manage the operations and the city would continue to be the property owner and responsible for major upkeep and maintenance.
Managed by the Friends of the Overlook House, this community asset is rented for weddings, parties, and meetings. It is also the site of the Overlook Neighborhood Association board meetings and for annual community events like the Easter egg hunt, Halloween, and Christmas gatherings and the summer ice cream social.